The weather never seems to cooperate when planning a move, especially when it’s in mid-winter. With over 40 years of experience, Hercules Movers wanted to share our top 5 tips for moving when the weather gets cold.
- Shovel & Salt your driveway and walkways. The last thing you want is for a moving company to track snow into your home or office. We appreciate it when our customers check that there’s no icy patches on our path between your home and the truck. The same goes with your new home. Please arrive before us and check that the driveways and walkways are all clear.
- Turn down your thermostat. The door will remain open during your move out of the house and into your new home so please keep the heat turned down. We want you to avoid a big heating bill on your move-in day–that’s the last thing you need.
- Wear layers of clothing. If you need to keep the door open, then it will be cold in your home. Wear layers or a light coat to stay warm during your move. There’s no reason to catch a cold on moving day.
- Secure your pets. Please make it easy for yourself and your family by keeping your pet in another room OR at a friend’s home. Hercules Movers loves animals, but on moving day they should be in a safe environment –away from all of the big furniture and boxes being moved in and out.
- Protect your floor. Lay down cardboard or plastic on carpeted areas to keep them pristine. Throughout the move, monitor your mover’s whereabouts so you can keep the flooring covered as they move about your home.
There’s not much you can do if bad weather hits. Your Main Line Local Movers, Hercules Movers, are prepared for any kind of weather. We’ll communicate with you prior to the move if bad weather moves in unannounced.
Have some hot drinks on hand for you and your family. This way you will stay relaxed and warm as you venture into a new welcoming home & community.
Have a happy move!